The House of Lanson was founded in 1760 by François Delamotte, an influential character in Reims society. The joint owner, alongside his wife, of a not-insubstantial vineyard in Cumières and Ay, he decided to found his own Champagne house – one of the very first ever to exist. In 1798, Nicolas-Louis Delamotte, his younger son, took over from his father. Having been admitted as a knight of the Order of Malta at a very young age, he decided to use the Maltese Cross as the House’s emblem. Now revised, the Lanson cross has become the icon of the company.